Sausage, Bacon, and Bean Feast
The simple step of sautéing the vegetables as you fry the bacon and sausage gives this dish that simmered-all-day, comfort-food flavor.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6–8
- 1 8-ounce package bacon, cut into pieces
- 8 ounces ground pork sausage
- 3 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL: hot sauce to taste
Add the bacon and sausage to a 4-quart Dutch oven and fry over medium heat until some of the fat begins to render from the meat. Add the carrot and celery; sauté along with the meat, stirring occasionally.
When the meat is cooked through, drain all but 1 or 2 tablespoons of the rendered oil. Add the onion and sauté until transparent. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
Add the bay leaf, thyme, broth, and beans. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
Discard the bay leaf and add salt and pepper, to taste, immediately before serving. Add a few drops of hot sauce to enhance the flavor, if desired.