Spanish Chicken and Rice
Serve this dish with an avocado salad and baked corn chips.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive or vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 4 ounces fresh button or cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- ½ cup black olives, pitted and cut in half
Add the oil to the pressure cooker and bring it to temperature over medium heat. Add the chicken, green pepper, chili powder, paprika, thyme, oregano, black pepper, cayenne, and onion; stir-fry for 5 minutes, or until the onion is transparent and the chicken begins to brown.
Stir in the mushrooms; sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, broth, rice, and olives. Lock the lid and bring to high pressure; maintain for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the pressure to release naturally for 7 minutes. Quick-release any remaining pressure.
Uncover and fluff with a fork. Taste for seasoning and add salt and other seasoning, if needed.
Spice It Up!
Vary the heat level of the Spanish Chicken and Rice recipe by choosing between mild, medium, or hot chili powder, according to your tastes. In addition, you can substitute jalapeño pepper for some or all of the green pepper.