You can make this casserole the night before. Cover and refrigerate it overnight. To prepare the casserole, preheat the oven to 350 °F. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, or until the casserole is heated through.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8
- 8 ounces dried medium egg noodles
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- Salt to taste
- 1 16-ounce jar spaghetti sauce with mushrooms
- 1 green pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
- Freshly ground Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese to taste
In a 4-quart Dutch oven, prepare the egg noodles according to package directions. Drain in a colander and keep warm.
Brown the beef, onion, and celery in the Dutch oven over medium heat, breaking the beef apart as it cooks. Once the beef has lost its pink color and the onion is transparent, drain off any excess fat.
Add the remaining ingredients except for the cheeses. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
Stir in the noodles and Cheddar cheese. Serve immediately, adding grated Parmigiano-Reggiano to the top of each serving.
If you're baking the Marzetti Casserole the next day, you can add another flavor dimension by mixing 1 cup of dried breadcrumbs with 1 tablespoon of melted butter or extra-virgin olive oil. Sprinkle the crumb mixture and some Parmigiano-Reggiano over the top of the casserole; bake until the casserole is heated through and the breadcrumbs are golden brown.