This casserole is gussied-up turkey dressing dinner. Serve it with a tossed salad and then have cranberry juice punch to drink to complete the off-season Thanksgiving feel to your meal.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8
- 2 tablespoons butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 6 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 28-ounce can heat-and-serve turkey
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 10 ¾-ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3 cups milk
- 12 slices bread, crusts removed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
Preheat oven to 325 °F.
Melt the butter or add the oil to an ovenproof Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the green pepper and celery; sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in the onion and sauté for another 5 minutes, or until the onion is transparent and the other vegetables are tender.
Stir in the undrained can of turkey, and before the turkey is heated through, stir in the eggs. Add the mayonnaise, soup, and milk; mix well.
Fold the pieces of bread into the mixture. Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
Remove the cover and sprinkle the cheese over the top of the casserole. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is set.