Curried Chicken with Avocado
Serve this dish with a Cucumber-Yogurt Salad (see recipe at bottom) and pita, Indian, or Euphrates bread.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy or light cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 large avocados, peeled, pitted, and halved
- 3 cups cooked rice
Melt the butter and bring it to temperature in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken, onion, salt, and pepper; sauté until the chicken is cooked through.
Add the apple, garlic, and curry powder; sauté for 2 minutes.
Stir in the flour; whisk the cream and then the broth into the chicken mixture. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes.
To serve, place an avocado half on top of ½ cup of the cooked rice and spoon the hot chicken curry over the avocado.
This dish is good served with chopped hard-boiled egg, chopped peanuts, chutney, coconut, crumbled crisp bacon, preserved ginger, raisins, and sweet pickles as condiments. Try something new or just use whatever you have in your pantry.