Upside-Down Beef Pot Pie
This recipe is a delicious way to use leftover roast beef and potatoes. The Dijon mustard and mayonnaise are optional flavor enhancers.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 baby carrots, shredded
- ½ stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 cups cooked beef, diced or shredded
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 cup diced cooked potatoes
- 1 cup beef gravy
- OPTIONAL: 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- OPTIONAL: 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
Preheat oven to 350 °F.
Add ¼ cup of the butter to a large microwave-safe bowl; microwave on high for 30 seconds, or until the butter is melted.
Pour the butter in an 8" square baking dish. Add the flour, cheese, sugar, baking powder, salt, and milk to the bowl; stir until blended. Pour into the baking dish.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, the onion, carrots, and celery to the bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute; stir to combine the vegetables with the melted butter. Cover and microwave on high for 1 more minute, or until the onion is transparent.
Stir in the beef, thawed peas and carrots, potatoes, gravy, and, if using, the mustard and mayonnaise. Pour the beef mixture over the batter. Do not stir. Bake for 1 hour, or until the beef topping is bubbly.