Turkey and Noodle Casserole
This easy recipe leaves you all evening to enjoy this satisfying comfort food.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8
- 1-pound dried extra-wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 slices bacon or turkey bacon, chopped
- 2 ½ pounds ground turkey
- 1 pound white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Cook the noodles in a Dutch oven according to package directions. Drain, set aside, and keep warm.
Preheat oven to 350 °F.
Wipe out the Dutch oven. Add the oil and bring it to temperature over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook for 3 minutes to render the bacon fat and until the bacon begins to brown at the edges. Add the ground turkey; brown the turkey, crumbling it apart.
Add the mushrooms and onions; stir-fry for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onions are transparent and the meat loses its pink color. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and thyme.
Stir in the wine, deglazing the pan by scraping up any food stuck to the bottom of the pan. Stir in the broth and bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat to a simmer and whisk in the cream. Stir in the nutmeg and cheese. Stir in the noodles. Top with the breadcrumbs; drizzle the butter over the crumbs.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until the crumbs are browned.