Greek Meat and Vegetable Pie
Serve this casserole with a cucumber-yogurt salad (see recipe at bottom).
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 8-ounce bag baby spinach, torn
- 1 12-ounce bag frozen steam-in-the-bag broccoli florets
- 8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- ½ cup fresh parsley, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 16-ounce package phyllo dough
- ½ cup butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 °F.
Add the onions and oil to a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir, cover, and then microwave for 2 minutes, or until transparent. Add the spinach to the bowl and toss with the onions.
Microwave the broccoli according to the package directions; drain and add to the bowl along with the cheese, eggs, chicken or turkey, chives, dill, parsley, and pepper; mix well. Set aside to cool.
Brush the bottom of a 9" × 13" nonstick baking pan with some of the butter. Layer half of the phyllo sheets on the bottom, 1 sheet at a time, brushing each sheet with butter before adding the next sheet.
Evenly spread the meat and vegetable filling over the buttered phyllo sheets. Top the filling with the remaining sheets, brushing each sheet with butter before you add the next sheet. Cut into 8 equal pieces. Bake uncovered for 1 hour, or until golden brown.