Chicken à la King Pie
Adjust the seasoning in this recipe according to how well the cooked chicken and gravy are seasoned. For example, if herbs aren't needed, substitute a finely minced shallot for the Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb Blend.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- 1 ½ cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 4 ½-ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon pimiento, chopped
- 1 cup store-bought chicken gravy
- ½ cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb Blend
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 15-ounce package refrigerated peel-and-unroll-style pie crusts
Preheat oven to 375 °F.
In a bowl, mix together the chicken, mushrooms, pimento, gravy, peas, cream, Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb Blend, and nutmeg. Mix well.
Line the bottom of a 9 ½" deep-dish pie pan with one of the pie crusts. Add the chicken mixture to the pan.
Cover the pie with the remaining crust; seal and flute the edges. Cut slits in the top of the crust.
Bake for 35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
To prevent the crust edge from burning, wrap a strip of nonstick aluminum foil around it and crimp to secure; remove the foil after the first 20 to 30 minutes of baking. For a shinier, prize-winning look to the top crust, brush it with heavy cream or some beaten egg mixed with a little water before baking.