Chili Con Carne
Chili powder is available in mild, regular, and hot varieties. If the chili still isn't spicy enough to suit your tastes, you can punch up the dish by adding some chopped jalapeño peppers or hot sauce.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4–6
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 pound lean hamburger
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- OPTIONAL: 1 teaspoon granulated or light brown sugar
Bring the oil to temperature over medium heat in a Dutch oven. Add the hamburger, onion, chili power, and cumin.
When the meat is cooked and the onions are transparent, drain any excess fat from the pan.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 1–2 hours, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary before serving.
Fiesta Chili Buffet
Have bowls of these condiments lined up so that family and guests can top their chili: crushed corn chips, shredded Cheddar cheese, cooked rice, shredded lettuce, chopped green pepper, sliced black olives, chopped tomatoes, diced onion or chopped green onions, toasted pecans or chopped peanuts, shredded coconut, and salsa.