Cinnamon Glazed Bagels
YIELDS 12 BAGELS
Your own homemade bagels are so delicious! These special treats are hearty and chewy, with a wonderful cinnamon flavor.
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
½ cup warm water
1 cup milk
½ cup orange juice
2 tablespoons butter, melted
¾ cup sugar, divided
3 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine yeast with ½ cup warm water. Stir and let stand for 10 minutes. Add milk, orange juice, melted butter, ¼ cup sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, and whole-wheat flour; beat for 1 minute. Gradually add 3 cups bread flour. Add raisins and walnuts.
2. Turn dough onto floured surface and knead in enough remaining bread flour until the dough is stiff, smooth, and elastic, about 10 minutes.
3. Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down and divide into four parts. Divide each part into three balls. Flatten balls until they are about 4” in diameter. Punch a hole in the center and gently stretch the rings until the hole is about 1-½“ wide. Place on greased baking sheets and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add ½ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon salt. Drop three bagels at a time into the boiling water and let rise to the top. Boil for 1 minute, then remove with slotted spoon, drain briefly, and place on greased baking sheets.
5. Preheat oven to 425°F. Bake bagels until browned, about 15 minutes.
6. In small bowl, combine ⅓ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and mix well. Remove bagels from oven. Brush tops with egg white and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Return to oven and bake for 5 to 12 minutes longer until deep golden brown. Let cool on wire racks.