Chicken Newburg Recipe
Newburg is usually made with seafood. Chicken is a less expensive alternative and it's just as delicious.
SERVES ► 6
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1½ cups shredded Colby cheese
Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper and cut into 1″pieces.
In large skillet, combine butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken; stir until cooked, about 6–8 minutes; remove from pan.
Add bell peppers; cook and stir for 3–4 minutes until crisp-tender; remove from pan.
Add onion to skillet; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to low and add milk, cream cheese, egg yolk, cornstarch, lemon juice, and thyme. Cook, stirring constantly with wire whisk, until mixture is smooth and hot.
Add chicken and bell peppers to sauce; cook and stir over low heat for 2–3 minutes.
Stir in cheese; cook and stir until melted, about 2–3 minutes. Serve over hot cooked rice or pasta.