Chicken and Dumplings
A store-bought roasted chicken is fine for this recipe or you can prepare it yourself. Baked chicken is another tasty alternative.
INGREDIENTS | YIELDS 8 servings
- 4 pounds whole roasted chicken
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large stalks celery, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 16 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 10-ounce package buttermilk biscuits
- 1 9-ounce can low-fat chicken gravy
Shred chicken, removing skin and bones.
Heat canola oil in a skillet. Sauté the vegetables in the oil.
Place chicken, vegetables, and poultry seasoning into large pot. Add the chicken broth.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Place biscuits one at a time into the chicken mix. Cover the pot and cook for 10 minutes.
Stir in chicken gravy. Simmer for several minutes and serve.
- Calories: 683
- Fat: 39 grams
- Protein: 59 grams
- Carbohydrates: 23 grams
- Cholesterol: 175 milligrams
Chicken with dumplings is a popular Southern dish. If you prefer your biscuits crispier, you can wait to add them until after you pour the gravy in, about 5 minutes before you serve the dish.