Bruschetta is a great appetizer during the fresh tomato season. It's easy to prepare and bursts with flavor.
INGREDIENTS | YIELDS 4 servings
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ground pepper and kosher salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon crushed fresh basil leaves
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1″ slices
- 1 spritz canola oil spray
Mix tomatoes, chopped onions, olive oil, salt, pepper, and basil leaves.
Spread mixture on eight 1″ slices of bread lightly covered with canola oil spray.
Broil bread until brown and serve.
- Calories: 163
- Fat: 8 grams
- Protein: 4 grams
- Carbohydrates: 20 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Core your tomato before cutting or dicing. Then season them with freshly ground black pepper and let them soak in the pepper for about 20 minutes. This gives the tomato the most pungent summer taste.