Beans don’t get the respect they deserve. An excellent source of protein, and one of the top-notch sources of iron for energy into the cells. Add 6 to 8 whole grain crackers during this quick pre-practice snack, and this has all the makings for many winning goals.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 4 medium onions, chopped finely
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (amount optional—depending on your tolerance for spice)
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Spray medium skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
Sauté onions and ground beef until beef is brown and cooked through. Drain fat from pan.
Add green and red pepper; cook 5 minutes.
Add tomato sauce, garlic powder, pepper, and chili powder, and mix well. Simmer 10 minutes on low heat.
Add kidney beans and mix. Simmer 10 more minutes and serve.