Grilled Vegetable and Lamb Shish Kebobs
It’s a colorful dish—vary the vegetables with your kids’ “favorites.”
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds lamb, cut in 2-inch squares
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 12 medium-sized mushrooms
- 3 large onions, cut in quarters
- 2 red peppers, cut in 1-inch squares
- 2 to 3 yellow squash, cut in small slices
Marinade for lamb:
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 1/4 cup wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
Mix all ingredients together for the marinade and blend for 1 to 2 minutes.
Marinate lamb chunks for several hours or all day.
Assemble lamb on skewers, alternating with vegetables. Brush with extra marinade.
Place on the grill turning skewers several times for 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
Introduce Lamb as a Beef Alternative
Once again, variety, variety, variety. When the children are young enough, and aren’t quite set in their ways yet, continue to familiarize them with as many new foods as possible. This recipe has crunch, color, and a marinade that is so tasty, the kids will add this to their “sophisticated” repertoire of foods. Beware: lamb is a little higher in fat than some of the leaner beef cuts.