The Importance of Organic
Whenever possible, use organic fruits and vegetables for juicing. Organic produce is grown without synthetic fertilizers and chemical biocides. Every year, the conventional U.S. agriculture industry goes through more than 1 billion pounds of pesticides and herbicides. Only 2 percent of that actually kills insects; the remaining 98 percent goes into the soil, air, water, and food supply — including the nonorganic fruits and veggies you eat! Buying and consuming organic produce is one way to circumvent this health hazard.
No chemicals or pesticides are used in the organic growing process. In 2002, the National Organic Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, prohibited the use of chemicals in organic farming and stipulated management practices “with an intent to restore and then maintain ecological harmony on the farm, its surrounding environment, and ultimately, the whole planetary ecosystem.”
When choosing organic produce, look for labels marked “certified” organic. This guarantees that the produce has been grown according to the strict standards set forth by the National Organic Program, including inspection of farms and processing facilities, detailed record keeping, and testing the soil and water for pesticides to ensure government standards are met. Labels reading “transitional organic” mean the food was grown on a farm that has recently converted or is in the process of converting from conventional to organic farming practices.
Because organic farming does not use chemicals to preserve produce, it focuses on growing crops in season. By using organic produce grown in the United States, you'll use fruits and vegetables that are grown in season rather than imported from foreign countries where organic standards may not be as high and where carcinogenic sprays are still legal.
The Argument for Organic Produce in Juicing
It's especially important to buy organic when purchasing produce that is particularly vulnerable to pesticide contamination. This includes apples, apricots, bell peppers, cherries, celery, grapes, green beans, cucumbers, peaches, spinach, and strawberries.
You should also steer clear of produce that's been irradiated, or subjected to gamma ray radiation to kill pests and germs and prolong shelf life. Irradiation can lead to the formation of dangerous chemicals in produce called radiolytic products, which include formaldehyde and benzene.
Although the FDA has approved irradiation, the average dose to decontaminate some produce has been measured at levels that are 5 million times what you'd receive in a chest x-ray. That's a dangerous amount of radiation, and it also kills off vitamins and minerals. The process of irradiating fruits and vegetables is especially dangerous because the large amount of water in produce triggers a greater production of free radicals — toxins that damage cells and lead to multiple diseases and premature aging.