White Chicken Rice (Safeed Murgh Ka Pulao)
2 cups basmati rice
4 cups water
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1-inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and julienned
2 serrano green chilies, minced
1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
Table salt, to taste
½ teaspoon Warm Spice Mix (see recipe on page 12)
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 tablespoon minced cilantro
1 tablespoon minced mint
½ cup whole milk
1 teaspoon Roasted Saffron (see recipe on page 16)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Serve piping hot with the Minty Potato in Yogurt Sauce (page 64).
1. Rinse the rice at least 3 to 4 times with water. Drain and set aside.
2. In a deep pan, combine the rice with the 4 cups of water. Bring to a rolling boil. Cook, uncovered, until the rice is almost cooked but still firm. This should take about 8 minutes. Drain the rice and set aside.
3. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the gingerroot, green chilies, and red onions; sauté for 7 to 8 minutes or until the onions are browned.
4. Add the chicken and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes or until the chicken is well browned and completely cooked. Add the salt, spice mix, and red chili powder; mix well. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Preheat oven to 325°.
6. In a deep ovenproof pan (with a lid), add a layer of rice (about ½ of the rice). Layer about ¼ of the chicken mixture over the rice. Add another layer of the rice (about 1 cup); sprinkle with 1 teaspoon each of the cilantro and mint. Add a layer of the remaining chicken mixture and then a final layer of the remaining rice. Sprinkle with the remaining cilantro and mint. Sprinkle with the milk and saffron.
7. Cover and cook in the oven for about 30 to 40 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed. Serve hot.