Turmeric Rice (Peele Chawal)
1 cup basmati rice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 serrano green chilies, seeded and minced
1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
Table salt, to taste
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 cups water
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
This simple dish has a spectacular appearance because of its stunning yellow color. Serve with any hot curry of your choice.
1. Rinse the rice at least 3 to 4 times with water. Drain and set aside.
2. In a deep pan, heat the vegetable oil. Add the green chilies and onions; sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until the onions are soft.
3. Add the salt, turmeric, and rice; sauté for 1 minute.
4. Add the water and stir for 1 minute. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Loosely cover with a lid and cook for about 12 to 15 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated. You will see small craters forming on top of the rice.
5. Cover tightly and reduce the heat to the lowest setting; simmer for another 5 to 6 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
You can have a lot of fun with rice dishes. Prepare batches of Minty Rice, Tomato Rice, and Turmeric Rice (see the recipes in this chapter). Layer the rice or mound it on a plate for a spectacular presentation. Use the Minty Rice for a green layer, Turmeric Rice for yellow, and the Tomato Rice for a fiery red.