Simple Basmati Rice (Chawal)
4 cups water
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Let the wonderful nutty flavor of the Indian basmati rice shine through. Serve this with any entrée of your choice.
1. Rinse the rice at least 3 or 4 times with water. Drain and set aside.
2. In a deep pan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
3. Add the rice and stir for about 30 seconds. Add the salt and lemon juice and return to boiling.
4. Reduce the heat to low. Loosely cover the rice with a lid and cook for about 12 to 15 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated. You will see small craters forming on top of the rice.
5. Cover and reduce the heat to the lowest setting; cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.