Spinach Lamb Curry (Saag Gosht)
½ pound frozen chopped spinach
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 bay leaves
1 (1-inch) cinnamon stick
4 black peppercorns
2 black cardamom pods
2 medium-sized red onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 teaspoons Ginger-Garlic Paste (see recipe on page 13)
4 pounds boneless lean lamb, cut into chunks
2 small tomatoes, finely
1 teaspoon Warm Spice Mix (see recipe on page 12)
½ teaspoon red chili powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
Table salt, to taste
½ cup plain yogurt, whipped
½ cup water
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
This dish graces menus at innumerable Indian restaurants. Serve with Simple Naan Bread (page 205), brushed with spiced garlic butter.
1. Cook the spinach in boiling water until just wilted; drain. Purée in a food processor. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cloves, black peppercorns, and cardamom pods. When the spices begin to sizzle, add the onions. Stirring constantly, fry until the onions are golden brown, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add the Ginger-Garlic Paste and sauté for 1 minute.
3. Add the lamb and fry for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the tomatoes and fry, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes or until the oil starts to separate from the mixture.
4. Add the spice mix, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt; mix well. Add the yogurt and cook for about 4 minutes.
5. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the lamb is cooked through.
6. Add the spinach and cook for another 5 minutes. Serve hot.