Meatball Curry (Kofta Curry)
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 bay leaves
1 (1-inch) cinnamon stick
4 black peppercorns
2 black cardamom pods
2 medium-sized red onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 teaspoons Ginger-Garlic Paste (see recipe on page 13)
2 small tomatoes, finely chopped
1 teaspoon Warm Spice Mix (see recipe on page 12)
½ teaspoon red chili powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
Table salt, to taste
½ cup plain yogurt, whipped
2 recipes Fenugreek-Flavored
Meatballs (page 20)
½ cup water
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40–45 minutes
You can make extra meatballs and freeze them. Then, when you are ready, this recipe is a snap! Serve with Simple Naan Bread (page 205).
1. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cloves, black peppercorns, and cardamom pods. When the spices being to sizzle, add the onions. Stirring constantly, fry until the onions are golden brown, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add the Ginger-Garlic Paste and sauté for 1 minute.
2. Add the tomatoes and fry, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes or until the oil starts to separate from the mixture.
3. Add the Warm Spice Mix, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt; mix well. Add the yogurt and cook for about 4 minutes.
4. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Add the meatballs and cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Serve hot.
Using Bay Leaves
When using bay leaves, tear them and roughly crush them. They should be quite aromatic, sweet, and pungent. Don't use more than 1 or 2 leaves or the food will get an acrid and unpleasant taste. Always remove the bay leaves before serving — the leaf is inedible.