Fiery Lamb Vindaloo (Gosht Ka Vindaloo)
¾ cup rice vinegar
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon black peppercorns, roughly pounded
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons red chili powder
2 serrano green chilies, minced
1½ pounds boneless lean lamb, cubed
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
1 large red onion, peeled and finely chopped
6 whole dried red chilies, roughly pounded
1 (1-inch) cinnamon stick
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
Table salt, to taste
Prep Time: 10 minutes, plus 1 hour to marinate
Cook Time: 60 minutes
You can prepare this with pork or beef; adjust seasonings to taste (cooking times stay the same).
1. In a nonreactive bowl, combine the rice vinegar, water, black pepper, garlic, red chili powder, and green chilies. Add the lamb and coat evenly with the marinade. Refrigerate, covered, for 1 hour.
2. In a deep pan, heat the oil. Add the gingerroot and sauté for about 10 seconds. Add the onion and sauté for about 7 to 8 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Add the red chilies, cinnamon stick, and turmeric powder; sauté for 20 seconds.
4. Remove the lamb pieces from the marinade and set the marinade aside. Add the lamb and sauté on high heat for about 10 minutes or until the lamb is browned and the oil starts to separate from the mixture. Add the marinade and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 30 to 45 minutes or until the lamb is tender.
5. Add salt to taste. Serve hot.
Color can be a great help when buying lamb. Younger lamb is pinkish red with a velvety texture. It should have a thin layer of white fat surrounding it. If the meat is much darker in color, it means that the lamb is older and flavored more strongly.