Creamy Black Gram Dahl (Dal Makhani)
1 cup whole black gram, or black lentils (urad dal), rinsed
2 tablespoons dried red kidney beans
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
Water, as needed
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon oil
1 teaspoon Ginger-Garlic Paste (see recipe on page 13)
1 cup tomato purée (canned or fresh)
1 teaspoon red chili powder
Table salt, to taste
4 tablespoons heavy cream
Prep Time: Soaking overnight
Cook Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
This dal freezes well, but do not add the cream if you are planning on freezing it.
1. In enough water to cover, soak the urad dal along with the red kidney beans overnight. Drain and set aside.
2. In a heavy-bottomed pan, combine the turmeric and water; bring to a boil. Add the urad dal and red kidney beans and mix well. Cook on medium heat, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour. Check to see if the lentils are soft and if they are beginning to split. If not, continue cooking. If the lentils start to dry out, add up to 1 cup more of water. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a medium-sized skillet, heat the butter along with the oil. Add the Ginger-Garlic Paste and sauté for 30 seconds.
4. Add the tomatoes and cook for about 7 to 8 minutes or until the oil begins to separate from the mixture. (The tomatoes may splatter, so cover the skillet with a splatter guard or partially cover the mixture with a lid as it cooks.)
5. Add the red chili powder and salt; mix well. Remove from heat and pour over the dal; mix well. Just prior to serving, stir in the heavy cream. Serve hot.
When cooking lentils, lift a few with a wooden spatula. Mash them between your fingers. If they mash easily, they are ready and cooked.