Goan Shrimp Pickle (Mole De Camarao)
6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
2 cups medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 curry leaves
2 serrano green chilies, minced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
6 dried red chilies, roughly pounded
2 small red onions, peeled and minced
6 tablespoons white vinegar
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
Table salt, to taste
Yields 2 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20–25 minutes, plus 20 minutes to cool You can increase the quantity of this and serve it as a side dish. It will keep for up to 1 week refrigerated.
1. Heat 3 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a medium-sized skillet. Add the shrimp and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until no longer pink. Transfer the shrimp to a bowl.
2. In the same skillet, heat the remaining vegetable oil. Add the curry leaves, green chilies, garlic, red chilies, and onions; sauté for 7 to 8 minutes or until the onions are well browned.
3. Add the vinegar, turmeric, and salt. Bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat.
4. Add the shrimp and simmer on very low heat for about 8 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a dry bowl. Refrigerate, covered, until needed.
When buying mangoes, feel the fruit. It should yield to gentle pressure. It should also be very fragrant. To ripen mangoes, place them in a brown paper bag for a few days.