Cardamom Chicken (Eliachi Murgh)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 green cardamom pods, roughly pounded
1 medium-sized red onion, minced
2 teaspoons Ginger-Garlic Paste (see recipe on page 13)
1½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken chunks (your choice of cut)
Table salt, to taste
½ teaspoon red chili powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 cup Hung Yogurt (see recipe on page 14)
Water, as needed
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30–40 minutes
The cooking time of the chicken will depend on the cut that you choose. This dish is perfect with Simple Basmati Rice (page 160).
1. In a pan, heat the vegetable oil on medium. Add the cardamom pods and sauté for 10 seconds. Add the onions and sauté until well browned, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add the Ginger-Garlic Paste and sauté for 1 minute.
2. Add the chicken cubes and sauté until well browned, about 7 to 8 minutes.
3. Add the salt, red chili powder, and turmeric powder; mix well. Sauté for 1 minute.
4. Add the yogurt and mix well. Fry for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Add about ½ cup of water, cover, and cook on low heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Green cardamoms are one of the most expensive spices in the world. In Arab countries, this aromatic spice is most often used for spicing coffee. In India, green cardamom is used as a mouth freshener.