Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Ice Cream
Lemons and poppy seeds make a classic and comforting combination in this delicious ice cream treat.
INGREDIENTS | YIELD: 1 QUART
- 1 cup coconut creamer
- ½ cup coconut milk, full fat
- 1¾ cups soymilk
- 2½ tablespoons vegan butter
- Juice and zest of 4 lemons
- ½ vanilla bean, split and seeded, pod reserved for another use
- ⅓ cup unrefined sugar
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum plus 2 tablespoons sugar, mixed
- 1¼ teaspoons arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
Combine creamer, milks, butter, lemon zest and juice, vanilla beans, and sugar in heavy bottomed pot. Cook just until you achieve steam.
Reduce heat to low and slowly add xanthan gum–sugar mixture, whisking carefully but thoroughly.
Combine arrowroot and agave nectar thoroughly. Set aside. Bring lemon mixture back up to a light simmer; stir in arrowroot mixture and remove from heat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions for freezing. Add poppy seeds just before you stop churning the ice cream.