Ten Basic Principles
There are ten basic principles of feng shui that are useful for those who wish to incorporate some of these ideas into their lives. Many of the ideas of feng shui may resonate with you, even if you subscribe to other belief systems.
These principles are:
1. Clear the clutter. Besides taking up physical space, clutter can block new opportunities and keep you locked in the past. By clearing out your home, you create space for a future full of possibilities.
2. Keep the front entrance of your home well maintained. The entrance area of your home is where it all begins. Try to keep it clear, clutter-free, and well-lit. Just as HGTV and other television channels promote shows such as
3. Allow energy to flow freely. Energy should be able to flow through your home to promote good health and harmony. Avoid interfering with this flow with clutter or awkwardly placed furniture.
4. Contain the energy. Energy needs to be able to flow around the house in order to nourish you. Avoid situations that allow energy to rush through the house and quickly escape. The back door should not be directly aligned with the front door, for example. If this is the case in your home, consider hanging wind chimes to moderate and redirect the flow of energy.
5. Make sure everything works. Stay on top of maintenance issues. Fix items quickly and keep your surroundings as clean as possible. It is believed that every job left half-done somehow reflects an aspect of your life that is incomplete and needs attention.
6. Be aware of energy issues. According to feng shui, distortions in the electromagnic fields can impact your mental clarity over a period of time. Feng shui experts believe that sometimes energy needs to be “rebalanced” by a trained professional.
7. Be aware of the images and symbols in your home. Your choice of art, for example, is considered a message from your subconscious. Look around your home to determine what kinds of messages you may have unwittingly projected into your space. Consider changing your art to more consciously reflect your desires for the future.
8. Create a quiet sanctuary in your bedroom. Your bedroom should be an oasis of peace and serenity. Attention to your sleeping environment may help you to sleep more deeply at night. Clear the clutter out of this space, and avoid using your bedroom for any stressful activity, such as working, arguing, or balancing your checkbook.
9. Make the kitchen a center of calmness. The kitchen is often considered the hub of family life. Make this room a contained area where you can prepare meals in peace. According to the principles of feng shui, the atmosphere of your kitchen will permeate the food that you prepare and serve.
10. Love your home and it will love you. Think of your home as a living being. If you care for it and nourish it, it will in turn support and nurture you.
If you integrate some of the principles of feng shui into your home, you may find that you can rest better, live better, and entertain more freely in your space.