This delicious soup offers a tasty alternative to the Reuben sandwich.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
Carb Level: Low
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef stock
- ⅛ teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- ¾ pound extra-lean corned beef, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 4 rye crisp crackers
Melt the butter in a large saucepot. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir to mix. Add the stock, bring to a simmer, and cook until slightly thickened.
Add the caraway, bay leaf, salt, thyme, pepper, and sauerkraut. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
Remove and discard the bay leaf and add the corned beef. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
Ladle the soup into warm shallow soup bowls. Sprinkle the Swiss cheese and place a cracker on top.