A perfect accompaniment to grilled meat. You can substitute brandy or cognac if you don't have the specialty wines on hand.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
Carb Level: Low
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces mixed mushrooms, cleaned, stems trimmed
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup Madeira or port wine
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
Melt the butter in a medium-sized nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the shallots; cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the shallots and stir.
Stir in the mushrooms, cream, wine, thyme, salt, and pepper. Simmer over medium-low heat, uncovered, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 20 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve hot.