Creole Cabbage with Spicy Andouille
There are many varieties of andouille on the market. The noncoarse ground tends to be more flavorful than the coarser ground sausages.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
Carb Level: Low
- 4 slices bacon, cut into thirds
- ¾ pound andouille sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced yellow onion
- 4 cups sliced green cabbage (⅛-inch strips), rinsed
- Sugar substitute equal to 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon seasoned salt
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the bacon and sausage pieces. Cook, stirring frequently, until the bacon starts to crisp and the sausage pieces start to brown, about 10 minutes.
Add the onions and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the cabbage, stir, and cook until wilted, about 4 minutes.
Add the sugar substitute, Creole seasoning, salt, and red pepper flakes to the skillet and stir to mix. Cover and cook until the cabbage is tender, about 6 minutes. Serve hot.
Working with Onions
Refrigerate onions before cutting them to keep your eyes from watering. The cooling helps reduce the gases from emitting and irritating your eyes.