German Sausage Salad
There are so many sausages available. Your local deli will offer several varieties already cooked.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
Carb Level: Low
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon strong deli-style or German mustard
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar or honey
- ¾ pound knockwurst, cooked, cooled, and cut into ⅓-inch dice
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped deli dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
- Snipped fresh dill, for garnish
Mix the vinegar, mustard, oil, garlic salt, paprika, pepper, and brown sugar or honey in a small mixing bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Combine the knockwurst, onions, pickles, and capers in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add half of the dressing mixture and toss to combine. If needed, add more dressing, 1 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is achieved.
Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with fresh-snipped dill.
To soften brown sugar, place it in a microwaveable dish and add a slice of fresh bread. Cover tightly and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Discard the bread when done.