Stuffed French Toast
For this recipe, be sure to cut thick slices of bread. This will make stuffing easier, and you'll get great big slices of stuffed French toast.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 4 1″-thick slices French bread
- 4 teaspoons reduced-fat cream cheese
- 4 teaspoons favorite preserves
- 1 cup skim milk (divided into 4 servings)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or to taste
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg or to taste
Prepare a skillet with the butter-flavored spray.
Cut a pocket through the top of each slice of bread, ¾ of the way through the bread.
Insert cream cheese and preserves.
Combine milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg to make the batter.
Dip the bread in the batter and cook on the skillet.
PER SERVING Calories: 319 | Fat: 4 g | Protein: 11 g | Sodium: 258 mg | Carbohydrates: 58 g | Fiber: 1.4 g
A New Life for Stale Bread
Don't know what to do with that bread that's going stale? It's perfect for French toast! The fresher your bread, the more it will fall apart in the batter. Use bread that is nearing the end of its shelf life. It will be a little tougher and will hold together better when soaked in batter.