1. December 21, 2012, is the end of a 5,125-year cycle in the Mayan calendar. This is the very last day this ancient calendar counts up to.
2. In 2012, the winter solstice sun will rise in conjunction with the center of the galaxy. This alignment only happens once every 26,000 years.
3. A prediction based on the ancient Chinese oracle of the I Ching claims that time itself may end in 2012.
4. 2012 is the peak of the next sunspot cycle, when the sun's magnetic poles are due to reverse. NASA scientists are predicting the possibility of a large solar flare that could affect worldwide communication.
5. The magnetic field of our planet is weakening and the magnetic poles are shifting at an accelerating pace. Some researchers think that this means a pole shift is possible in 2012.
6. The amount of cosmic radiation entering our solar system has doubled in the last decade. By 2012, these changes may be producing significant effects on our climate, increasing extreme weather events and even the development of human ESP and telepathy.
7. By 2012, there may be proof our sun is part of a binary star system. Our companion star may have played a role in a cycle of catastrophes that caused the extinction of the dinosaurs.
8. Crop circle formations found in the English countryside seem to encode a series of astronomical messages relating to 2012.
9. Global oil production will be going into decline by 2012 and more than half of the world's oil reserves will have been used up.
10. Some analysts are predicting that in 2012, society will reach a global tipping point where stark choices will have to be made about the future of human civilization.