Grilled Vegetable and Three Cheese Panini
Panini are grilled sandwiches usually stuffed with vegetables, cheese, and grilled meat. They are grilled in a panini press or in a frying pan with a heavy weight on top to squish them down. You can use a heavy frying pan or foil-covered brick as the weight!
INGREDIENTS | MAKES 2 SANDWICHES
- 2 baby eggplants, thinly sliced
- ½ yellow summer squash, cut in ¼″ coins
- ¼ cup Italian Dressing
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, cored and seeded
- 2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 slices Tuscan bread (whole wheat or sourdough)
- 2 slices Muenster cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Oil as needed for panini press or frying pan
Brush eggplant and squash with dressing and grill. Grill red pepper, skin side to flame, until it chars.
Place red pepper, while still hot, in a plastic bag. Let cool, then rub skin off. Slice into strips.
Sprinkle veggies with Parmesan cheese and set aside.
Spread both sides of 4 pieces of bread with Italian dressing. Load with vegetables and Muenster and Gorgonzola cheeses.
Place panini on lightly oiled frying pan or panini press. If using a frying pan, cover it with a second pan or foil-covered brick. Toast the sandwich on medium heat until very brown. Turn if using a frying pan.
Cut sandwiches and serve piping hot.
PER SERVING: Calories: 459 | GI: Low | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 24g