Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
This is a grown-up and healthier version of a favorite comfort food.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 5
- 2 cups whole-wheat elbow macaroni or penne
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- Nonstick spray, as needed
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
Boil noodles in a large pot for 6 minutes. Add broccoli and cook for 2 more minutes or until the noodles are al dente. Drain, and reserve ½ cup of cooking liquid. Return noodles and broccoli to the pot.
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Grease medium soufflé dish using cooking spray and set aside.
Mix cottage cheese, reserved cooking liquid, mustard, and Tabasco until smooth.
Stir cottage cheese mixture into noodles and broccoli, and season with salt and pepper. Mix in Cheddar and mozzarella cheeses.
Transfer to the greased dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and top is golden brown.
PER SERVING: Calories: 336 | GI: Moderate | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 13g