Garlic lovers can add more garlic to this popular Middle Eastern dip. You can buy hummus at the store, but this recipe is easy to make and much cheaper.
INGREDIENTS | MAKES 1½ CUPS, SERVES 12
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped, or more to taste
- ½ small white onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco or other hot sauce
- ½ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, or cilantro, tightly packed
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup olive oil
Blend all ingredients in the food processor or blender. Do not purée — you want a coarse consistency. Serve with bagel chips or warm pita bread.
PER SERVING: Calories: 128 | GI: Low | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 9g
All-Natural Olive Oil Spray
To make your own olive oil spray, you can buy a clean spray bottle at a hardware store and fill it with olive oil. If using a spray bottle from your house, make sure it has never contained anything that could leave a harmful residue. Use this spray as an alternative to nonstick sprays that don't taste like olive oil.