Minestrone is a hearty Italian soup loaded with vegetables and beans. You can substitute any of the vegetables in this recipe with ones you have on hand. Pasta has been omitted since fully cooked pasta gets mushy when frozen.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6–8
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (14-ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (10-ounce) package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 4 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans with juice
- 1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes with juice
In a mixing bowl mix tomato paste and beef broth. Set aside.
Put all other ingredients into slow cooker. Pour beef broth mixture over the top. Cook on low 8–10 hours.
Cool and freeze in freezer bag, or in individual portions in Tupperware containers.
Defrost soup in the microwave or refrigerator overnight. Warm on stovetop for 20–25 minutes over medium heat or microwave individual portions 2–3 minutes in the microwave, and serve.
Calories: 390 | Fat: 3g | Protein: 28g | Sodium: 841mg | Carbohydrates: 68g | Fiber: 21g