Chicken Cacciatore is an Italian dish that was once called hunter's stew because it was something hunters could easily make in the field. Try using boneless chicken thighs for an even richer taste.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes with liquid
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Put chicken, onions, peppers, and mushrooms in a freezer bag. In a separate bowl mix the remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken. Freeze.
Defrost chicken in refrigerator overnight. Put in slow cooker and cook 7–9 hours on low. Add additional water if needed.
Calories: 361 | Fat: 5g | Protein: 48g | Sodium: 737mg | Carbohydrates: 34g | Fiber: 8g