Stuffed Wild Grape Leaves
When gathering grape leaves, look for the tender, lighter green leaves rather than the darker, older ones for better taste and texture.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 12
3 dozen grape leaves
Sea salt, as needed
2 cups Wild Rice and Groundnuts (Chapter 17) as a stuffing mix
2 tablespoons olive oil
Grape leaves come in different sizes, depending on the species. If the leaves are too small for rolling, layer them in the bottom of an oiled or buttered casserole dish and put the wild rice stuffing mix on top of the leaves. End with a layer of grape leaves on top. Sprinkle with olive oil and bake at 325°F for about 20 minutes.
1. Rinse each leaf and lay it in a large pot, stacking the leaves on top of each other.
2. Cover with water and sprinkle with salt. Cook on low heat for 20–30 minutes, until the leaves turn dark green.
3. Put a tablespoon of the stuffing mix near the stem end of the leaf.
4. Fold in the sides and roll tightly.
5. Place on an oiled baking dish and brush the tops with olive oil.
6. Bake at 325°F for about 20 minutes. Serve warm or cold.