The mucilaginous quality of the mallow leaves acts as a natural thickener for the lasagna.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8–10
6 wild onions, marinated overnight in sugar water (or 1 medium onion, chopped)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup Wild Herb Seasoning (Chapter 18)
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup ricotta cheese
8 ounces lasagna noodles, cooked
2 cups tomato sauce
2 cups common mallow leaves, chopped fine
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, sauté garlic and onions in olive oil 5–10 minutes or until tender.
3. In a large bowl, mix Wild Herb Seasoning, half the Parmesan cheese, and dried basil with ricotta cheese.
4. Butter or oil a baking dish and put a layer of noodles on the bottom.
5. Add layers of sauce, mallow leaves, ricotta cheese, and mozzarella cheese.
6. Repeat the process, ending with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
7. Cover and bake about 40–45 minutes.
8. Uncover and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese and bake another 10 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and let cool about 5–10 minutes before serving.