Capture the tastes of summer berries in this easy-to-make recipe. Use strawberries, raspberries, mulberries, or whatever juicy fruit is available.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8–10
4 cups blackberries
¼ cup honey
1½ tablespoons cornstarch
¼ cup brown sugar (or raw sugar)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ cup flour
½ cup raw sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 egg, slightly beaten
Berries for Better Vision
Scientific research has shown that blueberries, huckleberries, blackberries, wild cherries, elderberries, and other dark-colored fruits contain anthocyanosides, an antioxidant that helps prevent macular degeneration and improve vision.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Add honey to blackberries and mix well. Let stand for 30 minutes.
3. Drain liquid from blackberries into a saucepan.
4. Spread blackberries in bottom of baking dish.
5. Mix cornstarch, sugar, and drained fruit juice. Cook until mixture is thickened, about 15 minutes.
6. Add butter and lemon juice and mix well. Pour mixture over fruit.
7. In a separate bowl, combine flour, raw sugar, butter, and egg. Beat with spoon until batter is smooth.
8. Drop by spoonfuls over fruit mixture, spreading evenly. Bake 30–35 minutes, until done.