You will be amazed at the taste and appearance of this fine-tasting wine. Not for the teetotaler.
INGREDIENTS | MAKES 1 GALLON
1 package wine yeast
Juice from 4 oranges, room temperature
3 pounds persimmon pulp
2¼ pounds sugar
7 pints water
Juice of 3 lemons
1. Add yeast to orange juice and let stand until bubbly.
2. In a wide-mouth gallon jug, combine persimmon pulp, half of the sugar, 2 pints water, lemon juice, and orange juice with yeast added.
3. Let stand for 1 week, stirring daily.
4. Strain mixture through cheesecloth and return to wide-mouth jug.
5. Add remaining sugar and let stand 2 days.
6. Siphon into a gallon jug for secondary fermentation and attach an airlock.
7. Fill the airlock with water to the halfway line.
8. Fermentation is complete when the brew stops bubbling, about 10–12 days. Siphon into bottles and insert a cork in the top.