Christmas Cutout Cookies
Vary the shapes for lots of kid-friendly fun.
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- Red and green sugar crystals
- Icing (commercially prepared, in tubes)
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs, vanilla, and almonds.
Beat in baking powder and flour ½ cup at a time, until blended.
Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for several hours.
On a floured surface, roll-out dough using a floured rolling pin.
Using several different-shaped cookie cutters, cut out cookies.
Decorate with colored sugar and icing.
Bake cookies until just golden, approximately 6–7 minutes.