Lemon Root Vegetables
You might not have cooked with parsnips before, but they resemble pale carrots and the flavor is slightly stronger. You can substitute them for carrots in many recipes.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 cups rutabaga (about 2 medium rutabagas)
- 1 cup parsnips (about 2 medium parsnips)
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine (if tolerated)
- 1 tablespoon apple juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon peel
- ¼ teaspoon parsley
Peel and cut vegetables into 3-inch julienne strips.
In a large saucepan, combine the carrots, rutabaga, and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook for 13 to 15 minutes.
In a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients; cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until butter is melted.
Drain vegetables; add butter mixture. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are glazed, stirring occasionally.