Rotini Pasta with Broccoli and Canadian Bacon
You can easily substitute cooked chicken or turkey for the Canadian bacon if you wish.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- 16 ounces whole-wheat rotini pasta, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, as tolerated
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 cup frozen broccoli
- 4 ounces low-sodium Canadian bacon
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Begin cooking the pasta according to package directions.
Heat oil over medium heat in saucepan. Stir in minced garlic, pour in the broth; stir in basil or Italian seasoning and cook until just boiling.
Place frozen broccoli in colander. Drain the pasta directly over the broccoli. Return the pasta and broccoli to the pan; pour in the broth.
Thinly slice and cube Canadian bacon.
On medium-high heat add the bacon to the pasta and toss well to combine. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until hot.
Serve with grated cheese, if desired.
Tomato sauces frequently cause heartburn. When serving pasta dishes, use a light broth as a sauce.