Vegetable and Bean Chili
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups cooking onions, chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (include the seeds if you like the chili extra hot)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (28-ounce) can unsalted tomatoes, chopped and undrained
- 2 zucchinis, peeled and chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) cans unsalted kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped semisweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Heat heavy pot over moderately high heat. Add olive oil, onions, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeño; sauté until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
Add chili powder and cumin; sauté for 1 minute, stirring frequently to mix well.
Add tomatoes with juice and zucchini; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in beans and chocolate; simmer, stirring occasionally, for additional 5 minutes, or until beans are heated through and chocolate is melted.
Stir in cilantro, and serve.
PER SERVING: Calories: 205 | Protein: 12g | Carbohydrates: 35g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 156mg | Fiber: 13g | PCF Ratio: 22-65-13 | Exchange Approx.: 1 Lean Meat, 2 Starches, 1 Vegetable