INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ⅔ teaspoon cumin
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ⅔ cup unsalted tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups canned unsalted peeled tomatoes, with juice
- ⅔ teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 3 cups low-fat, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups fat-free beef broth
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- ½ cup green beans
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup lime juice or balsamic vinegar
Heat olive oil in large stockpot; sauté garlic, cumin, carrot, and celery 1 minute. Add onion; cook until transparent.
Stir in tomato paste; sauté until it begins to brown.
Add remaining ingredients except for lime juice or vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20–30 minutes, adding additional broth or water if needed. Just before serving, add lime juice or balsamic vinegar.
PER SERVING: Calories: 158 | Protein: 5g | Carbohydrates: 31g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 349mg | Fiber: 5g | PCF Ratio: 12-72-16 | Exchange Approx.: 1½ Starches, 1 Vegetable
Consider freezing broth in an ice cube tray. Most ice cube tray sections hold ⅛ cup (2 tablespoons) of liquid. Once broth is frozen, you can transfer cubes to freezer bag or container. This makes it easy to measure out the amount you need for recipes.