Rich and Creamy Sausage-Potato Soup
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 2
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon butter
- ½ cup chopped onion, steamed
- 1 clove dry roasted garlic ("Dry-Roasted Garlic" bottom box)
- 1 ounce crumbled cooked Mock Chorizo (version 1 or version 2)
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced into 1″ pieces
- ½ cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1½ cups Mock Cream
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional seasonings to taste: Fresh parsley, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
In saucepan, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion, roasted garlic, chorizo, celery seed, and potatoes; sauté until heated.
Add chicken broth; bring to a boil. Cover saucepan, reduce heat, and maintain simmer for 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
Add Mock Cream and heat.
Remove pan from burner and stir in vinegar and vanilla.
PER SERVING: Calories: 326 | Protein: 17g | Carbohydrates: 53g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 19mg Sodium: 259mg | Fiber: 3g | PCF Ratio: 20-64-16 | Exchange Approx.: 1 Fat, ½ Medium-Fat Meat, 1 Starch, 1½ Skim Milks, 1 Vegetable
Skim the Fat
You can remove fat from soups and stews by dropping ice cubes into the pot. The fat will cling to the cubes as you stir. Be sure to take out the cubes before they melt. Fat also clings to lettuce leaves; simply sweep them over the top of the soup. Discard ice cubes or leaves when done.