Fresh Tomato Basil Soup
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 4 cups (2 pounds) crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, loosely chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 ounces reduced fat (Neufchatel) cream cheese
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Melt butter in soup pot. Add onions; sauté until soft. Add crushed tomato, basil, and chicken broth.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook for another 15 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cream cheese until melted.
Transfer to food processor or blender; purée until smooth. Depending on size of processor or blender, you may need to purée a partial portion at a time.
PER SERVING: Calories: 87 | Protein: 3g | Carbohydrates: 12g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 449mg | Fiber: 3g | PCF Ratio: 13-50-37 | Exchange Approx.: 2 Vegetables, 1 Fat